Categories
dearborn high school famous alumni

yaesu equalizer settings

To accommodate the low-gain Icom designs, Heil Sound developed a high-quality condenser element, called the iC (for iCOM) in our products designations, that provides the optimum frequency response, impedance, and (most importantly) sufficient gain to drive these earlier rigs. However, the process became a hobby in itself. #1. The second adjustment is the Bandwidth which is set in the traditional audio nomenclature of octaves. We discussed the built in EQ on the FT-950. Investing in outboard gear has become common place. Maybe older firmware had different EQ freqs? Sign In Upload. Once he taught me how it all worked, my main challenge was trying to explain to my bandmates where the dozens of "sliders" had gone from our Main and Monitor EQ feeds. First, you need to set the transmit bandwidth. TS-950SDXMenu 20 (DSP 1 HPF): 100Menu 21 (DSP 1 LPF): 3100, TS-570Menu 13 (Bandwidth): 2.4 kHzMenu 14 (TX EQ High Boost): HMicrophone Gain: 50 (Default Level), TS-870Menu 29 (Bandwidth): 3000 HzMenu 30 (Bandshift): 0 or 100Menu 31 (TX EQ): H or CMenu 32 (RCV EQ): C or OffMicrophone Gain: 50 (Default Level)Menu 22 (Mic AGC): 1 (but try 0 and 2), TS-2000Menu 22 (Bandwidth): 3000 HzMenu 21 (TX EQ): H or CMenu 20 (RCV EQ): C or OffMicrophone Gain: 50 (Default Level). In the amateur radio field we aren't dealing with music material but the adjustment affects voice the same way. Here are the menu assignments for the FT 950. The PR 781 dynamic microphone, which sounds simply wonderful on modern iCOMs. )Pin 1: Microphone In*Pin 5: PTTPin 6: PTT GroundPin 7: Microphone Ground. Then select multiple frequencies between 10 and 5000 Hz to get enough data to plot the filter shape on graph paper [frequency verses power output]. Be sure to read the chapter "Parametric Microphone Equalizer" in your YAESU transceiver operating manual. BOOST + 8 dB Menu 098 Notch or Boost You can make a recording of audio at any stage in the chain and replay it to see if you can demodulate it. The menu numbers vary from radio to radio and are not even consistent within the vintage of the FTdx9000, so follow these guidelines according to function. The iCOM 7300 has been updated to work with all Heil Sound iCM. Do not confuse this with receiver bandwidth response. Notice your voice frequency profile where the dB levels go up & down within your vocal response. You're right, 'it ain't rocket science' & i use the transmit monitor to listen to myself as well. Thats getting the most from your rig? The ferrite choke solved the problem completely, and I never expereienced it again. For digital signals, Audacity works the same way. Listen on your monitor receiver to be sure the audio quality is what you are trying to achieve. This FTdx3000 page discusses the techniques to attain clean ESSB (Extended SSB) audio by using the INTERNAL parametric EQ settings in the radio and NO EXTERNAL EQ 'boxes'. So many times I hear stations with so much low end you cant understand what they are saying because they have not achieved good mid-range speech articulation. The first thing to set is the frequency that you need to affect. Nice to see this. Set the MAIN: MIC SEL menu selection to FP (Front Panel). The next step is to turn off the Noise Blanker and any DSP Noise Reduction systems, as well as any DSP bandwidth or shaping features such as Yaesus Contour control). Set Menu 5-9 (TFIL) to 6.0; set Menu 7-7 (SSB-t option) to 100-3100 Hz for fidelity, 300-3100 Hz for DX work. For everyday conversation, 100 2900 Hz. Now that I'm comfortable with general operation I'd like to tweak some of my settings to improve audio quality (mainly RX, TX sounds good with just mic gain). When I owned my FTDX-1200 I ran a Koss SB40 dynamic headset on it and got many unsolicited compliments on the audio. Well written and thank you for sharing. It will NOT support dynamic microphones. At the same time, DC flows DOWN the mic cable while the mic audio is fed UP the same wire. Press SET > LEVEL, then scroll up to SSB TX Tone (Bass); rotate the main tuning dial to set the Bass to -2 for starters (-4 if using the PR-40 or similar mic with lots of bass response). Over modulation will increase the radios IMD (bandwith) and that can only be seen with outboard spectral analysis or careful signal monitoring on the other end. for different settings and have multiple transmit profiles for quick access. I've been given unsolicited, "great audio" reports as a result of using this audio adjustment method. Available Values: 1 ~ 10 Default Setting: 1 FT-950 O Page . The mic audio level was too hot (high) for my radio. You simply select the needed frequency, boost or notch that frequency and set the bandwidth as to how wide you need to affect. Other than that, I left all the settings at the standard defaults which came with latest version of the firmware installed at the time. Vertical antennas and indoor horizontal antennas in close proximity to poorly shielded modern amateur transceivers. Transceivers are well over $1000 as the normal. W3RJW's FTDX-5000/FTdx-3000 Audio EQ Settings. Turn the Clarify/VFO knob to set this bandwidth of 2-28 (200-2800). Kenwood rigs present relatively few problems in interfacing to Heil products. Carrier Point (Q4): Try +100 for DX/Contest work, -100 for rag-chewing. Mic EQ: off. 8 Band EQ settings for the Yaesu FTX9000. The MH-31b can sound decent with the proper settings. I would try 200 - 2800 first. I've had a number of requests to shoot a video series about the Yaesu FT-710 AESS (Acoustic Enhanced Speaker System), similar to my FTdx10 series. Just rename each file configuration when saving (DX, low cut, high cut etc.) Alan, KBG Try doing opening it all way up. You can listen through headphones through the monitor but I have always found it better to listen through headphones through a second receiver while transmitting into a dummy load. Oftentimes OFF is best.Menu 8-9: Generally, you dont need to touch this one. Michael Salmi. In the course of listening over the past 30 years the quality of SSB transmitted audio on the amateur bands has deteriorated. Please submit any Amateur Radio related news or stories that you would like to see, here on eHam.net. Well after reading the article it makes me scratch my head and ask myself WHY? Set Menu #64 and 65 (TX Carrier Shift) to +.05 to +.10. In my case I used a modified Yamaha CM500 electret condenser mic with a frequency response of 100 Hz to 20 kHz.As is, the CM500 output is 150 mV (batteries installed). For best results please consult your owners manual. The answer to making the iC 718 come alive is our iCM, handi mic iC or one of the headsets using only our high output iC. Set the Transmit Bandwidth to Wide (100-2900 Hz), and you will be the talk of the band! Kenwood HF transceivers have long been designed for dynamic microphone inputs, so the microphone amplifier stages have plenty of gain to accommodate the wide range of Heil dynamic microphones. HF/50 MHZ TRANSCEIVER. It is clipping the mic preamp. You will hear the balance that will please you.As always study the operation guide for further information. Use one of our PR series professional balanced output microphones with the 3 pin XLR. Sincerely 73 de Clinton Herbert, AB7RG. I had an RF feedback problem with my old TS-850 when using a Heil BM-10 mic. You will perhaps want to change the frequencies of the first two filters if you are using an HC 4 or HC 5 element which is much narrower in response than the above microphones but start hear and see how this affects your transmitted signal. You could also buy a Rugged Air RA 200 aircraft headset for not much more than the CM500. Menu 00 : Adjustment Level -21Menu .3 : Adjustment Level -16Menu .6 : Adjustment Level -14Menu .9 : Adjustment Level -7Menu 1.2 : Adjustment Level -5Menu 1.5 : Adjustment Level -1Menu 1.8 : Adjustment Level +1Menu 2.1 : Adjustment Level +4Menu 2.4 : Adjustment Level +6Menu 2.7 : Adjustment Level +6Menu 3.0 : Adjustment Level +6Menu 3.3 : Adjustment Level +6Menu 3.6 : Adjustment Level +6Menu 3.9 : Adjustment Level +2Menu 4.2 : Adjustment Level +2Menu 4.5 : Adjustment Level 0Menu 4.8 : Adjustment Level 0Menu 5.0 : Adjustment Level0. Please see ouradapter selectorto find the right cable for your rig. It is impossible for us at Heil Sound to know what settings will sound best on your voice, in your station environment, with your microphone, for your interest (DX, Contest work, rag-chewing, or maximum fidelity) The recommendations below are just starting points; listen to yourself in a separate receiver through headphones to reduce speaker feedback (with its antenna disconnected) to determine what sounds best in your unique situation. If you need any help, we are glad to assist you with writing your article based on the information you supply. If there are any problems please let me know. If you dont do that, all of these settings go back to zero. If affects just a small slice of the audio if the bandwidth is set to a narrow number or setting. Connecting a dynamic into your mic input will provide a nice short of the +8V DC power straight to ground. That was a misprint which I failed to correct. To build the largest and most complete Amateur Radio community site on the Internet - a "portal" that hams think of as the first place to go for information, to exchange ideas, and be part of whats happening with ham radio on the Internet. Now set the transmit bandwidth (either with compression on or off) to Wide, and transmit while you listen to yourself in the monitor receiver. FT-450The FT-450s Microphone Equalizer Menu item (MIC EQ) is very simple in its adjustment. No apparent reason but it is true. *Pin 6 also carries voltage for the electret elements used in Icom mics. Sometimes i`m asked how to adjust the EQ settings of Yaesu rigs. FTDXRC can help you to better optimize your TX audio settings with a visual equalizer tool. On the GM-4 and GM-5, use only the Narrow element, as the Wide element has too much bass response for this rig. This will roll off some of the extreme low frequency response. If you are setting for a normal ragchew conversation, you will want a bit wider frequency response of 2.7 kHz 3.1 kHz . Download . When using a dynamic element on rigs like iCOMs, which were designed for electret microphone elements, one must not be afraid to do two things: (1) utilize the full range of Mic Gain available, and (2) turn on the Compression, using the Compression Level control as a secondary Mic Gain control if necessary. Try them while listening on a separate receiver.Speech Processor: Dont be afraid to use it; the audio quality is excellent for most applications. For most, roll off the low end by setting the first filter at 200 Hz. The FTDX-9000 is a groundbreaking HF/50 MHz Elite Class Transceiver from the YAESU Engineering Team. This instantly activates Menu Mode No-048 [DSP MIC EQ].2 Rotate the DIAL to select one of the following equalization choices: OFF: Microphone Equalization Off3 LPF: High Cut (lower frequencies are emphasized)4 HPF: Low Cut (higher frequencies are emphasized)5 BOTH: High/Low Cut (mid-range frequencies are emphasized)6 When you have made your selection, press and hold in the [FUNC] key for one second to save the new setting and exit to normal operation.Menu 016 Carrier Balance -300 to +300 LSB TransmitMenu 017 Carrier Balance -300 to +300 USB Transmit Adjusting These controls will give you a more low response or high response. My settings are as follows; mic gain @ 25, processor is "on" @ 25. CUT -6 dB Menu 095 Notch or Boost "Set filter one to 200 Hz. Please read pages 35-36, and page 60, of the K3 Operating Manual, in particular, for more details of these subjects. I'll cover the setting of the MIC OUT under the EQ PLUS setup. At least that is how my radio works.I think the article explains it the other way. Further, nothing is said about how to use the microphone, which is another issue almost no one gets right. Now, I will explain how I arrived at these settings which are particular to my voice. Add an improperly adjusted amplifier & a big mess is up and down the band. Yaesu FT-2000 Equalizer settings These have been tested using the MD-100 microphone. You then set the Bandwidth of that filter and finally you tell the filter if is notches (cuts, reduces) or boosts that filter frequency. Second, are the low-gain models (earlier designs like the IC-735/745/751/761/765/781, non-Pro 746/756, all 706 models, and the 7000, 7100, and 7200. The first thing to set with any transmitter is the transmit bandwidth. If you experience RF getting into the radio thru the microphone, try adding a clamp-around ferrite choke or two to the mike cord where it goes into the radio. You want to boost that frequency, you adjust it to + 10dB. TS 2000Set Menu #21 (TX EQ) to H for DX work, or leave it at C for local rag-chewing; set Menu #22 (Bandwidth) to 3000 Hz. The K3 includes a versatile 8-band transmit equalizer, which is adjusted separately from the receiver equalizer. No one else can make the adjustments. It was a big help. M 1 Yaesu EQ Settings on Yaesu FTdx 101mp/Ftdx10 You wil see my Settings there and i must say my TX Bandwidth is set to the first Frq is 200Hz and the high cut is 2800Hz so maybe FTdx-101. Because of this low gain mic preamp Our GM, Goldline, HC 4 or HC 5 elements will not work. Please submit any Amateur Radio related news or stories that you would like to see, here on eHam.net. But we quickly found that our sound was more easily tweaked with the parametric approach than with the all the sound boards we had previously had. You may need to shove a very short piece of wire (an unfolded paper clip, for example) into the antenna jack, depending on the shielding of your transmitters dummy load. The FTDX-9000D features unmatched close-in dynamic range, flexible selectivity choices due to its advanced 32-bit DSP filtering, a high-resolution TFT display, and high power:. Thanks for the article. I do want to congratulate the author on achieving the results he desired. Start with Menu 4-4 (TR EDSP) set to off. If affects just a small 'slice' of the audio if the bandwidth is set to a narrow number or setting. there's an adapter that plugs right into the radio. I do, however, agree with not making that big of a cut at 200Hz; I would take the filter down to 100Hz, make an 8-10dB cut, and use the same Q of 5. The Heil HC-4 cartridge should add some highs to your audio by the nature of the design of the cartridge. This voltage must be blocked for use of Heil Sound dynamic elements. Hold it for three seconds to change one. The FT-2000 bypasses the first mic preamp. Compare your radio audio plot to the Audacity spectrum plot. Jeez that's sounds like an awful lot of work. First, are the original zero models: 701, 720, 730, and 740. The resistors can be added inside of the battery box for a clean installation. eHam.net is a community web site for amateur (ham) radio operators around the world. Now, I am not telling you that this is the end all. Yep, see what Yaesu says. This element is found in products including the iCM base station microphone, the Handi Mic iC, the Pro Set iC, Pro Set Plus iC, BM-10 iC, and the Classic iC but the HEIL iC electret will not work on Kenwood or Yaesu which require only our dynamic elements found in our microphones and headsets. eHam.net provides recognition and enjoyment to the people who use, contribute, and build the site. If Using external EQ, turn internal OFF. Remember to set the Mic Gain and Mic Bias properly, as described above. You would want to start by keeping that bandwidth to the half way point. With my Heil GM-5 I has the mic gain on the FT-950 set at 14 percent. You only have control to either cut or boost the filter frequency they build into the transmitter. Don't give up on this incredible piece of technology. They unbalance that 8 pin round mic connector input with their typical Pin 8, pin 7 connections. RE: Setting Up The YAESU FT-950 TX EQ; I used my Yaesu FT950 with the MD-1 mic which I had set on position 2. A 100ft tower, a large beam, a 1500w amplifier and a top-of-the-line transceiver, then add more equipment so you sound great on the other end? Here are three EQ settings for the K3 and KX 3. Problem solved. The earlier FT series is actually electrically the same point as the front mic in. DSP Settings and Mic Connections: Elecraft K3 and KX 3. But, you dont need to worry about that so long as you purchase the correct adapter cable to go with your dynamic microphone. Now to get acceptable audio spend an almost equal amount of money. and have the parametric 'Bandwidth' control set to a wider setting (say 10), the filter will encompass the audio frequencies from about 100 Hz to 400 Hz. For most, roll off the low end by setting the first filter at 200 Hz. One for processor off and one for processor on. Connect your rig to dummy load with a watt meter.Set Eq off, processor on, mode = SSB, mic = 20, processor = 20. Whoever is listening is going to add their interpretation of "good" sound. It was found through testing that when both are set at the same levels, the radio power output is 2.5 times greater with the processor "on" verses the processor "off". Also go out buy yourself a Audio Technica ATR-30 for 18 bucks on amazon. Or leave it off. Just rename each file configuration when saving (DX, low cut, high cut etc.) We have explained one filter. The speech processors of these rigs are very touchy. Leave them at factory defaults to get started; theyll set you up for a low-end cutoff of 300 Hz, and a high-end cutoff of 2700Hz. I ultimately traced it to the headset's mic cable having inadequate shielding (spiral-wrapped fine stranded wire that provided perhaps 70% coverage instead of a braided or aluminized mylar shield). with the audio signal level adjusted to get 100 W RF with no ALC deflection. . I use an MD 100 desk mike. Transmitter IMD specifications on most amateur transceivers were never all that great. I used my Yaesu FT950 with the MD-1 mic which I had set on position 2. Options abound as how to tweak transmit audio to a precise sound. ); in this case, set the MAIN: MIC SEL selection to RP (Rear Panel). Last, Heil's cables contain a small jumper wire from mic shield pin of the connector to the shell of the mic. Notch or Boost. FTdx3000 Tx EQ Menu Settings with 4K Tx SSB BW & MH-31 Hand Mic N8NK QRP 824 subscribers Subscribe 128 Share 7.8K views 2 years ago FTdx3000 Tx EQ Menu Settings with 4K Tx SSB BW & MH-31 Hand. You may be able to adjust to 100 as long as it doesnt overload and sound too bassy.Press the Menu and rotate the SELECT knob so it reads TX BPF (Transmit Band Pass Filter). By Dave De Coons, WO2X wo2x@arrl.net Yaesu FT-2000 Set the radio menu's for the following settings: Menu Value 85 1-30 125 100 126 2 127 1 . All of my homebrew mic adapters connect both the mic cable shield and the footswitch ground lead to the shell of the 8-pin connector instead of the mic ground and PTT ground pins. The all important issue is the third filter where you achieve speech articulation. Never any more. The bandwidth in which youre listening probably is restricted, so you might make adjustments that over-compensate for this, leaving you with too much treble, too much bass, or both! Copyright 2023 Heil Sound Communications, Inc. You will want to listen to your signal in a second receiver and make small minor adjustments to tailor the audio you desire.The receiver also has a great equalization circuit so adjust the treble and bass to your listening preference. The Heil cable CC-1 XLR-BAL (with an ORANGE, not traditional Yellow boot for early models) connects our balanced output microphone into the balanced input and will help reduce any RFI issues. My guess is Yaesu will assist with their hand mic but you'll be on your own with the Heil . Bob helped Yaseu design the parameters for that rig, and others. Adjust the mic gain by watching the ALC meter. Up 'til then his audio was muffled, muddy, and a mess. Many calls a day come through the Heil Sound facility with RF issues. Set the microphone gain to 70 and with the stock bandwidth of 2.4 kHz your SSB signal will be terrific. The most important thing is to achieve a nice balance of lows, articulate mids, and crisp highs. There are situations where you may want to use one of the Heil ICM microphones or headsets made for iCOM using the Heil iC element. DSP Setting Example: Yaesu FT-950/2000 and FTdx9000 Series. Then, 'plot the spectrum. You set the frequency of the filter. Press the (PROC) button momentarily so MIC EQ shows up on the display. This EQ system was designed by K6JRF for Jonathan, AI6NA.Since the EQ systems in ALL YAESU radios is the same, it can by used verbatim for those radios. If you want to cut some low end, you notch -20 dB at 100 Hz. Yours will differ. I have noticed on my FT-950 that the Q of the filters appears to correlate with the BW number. I guess that's not all that bad, but there is precious little information there, mainly sibilance. FTdx101mp EQ Settings maybe there is some one can use these settings and this is helpfull for the beginning. (This includes any inappropriate posts on a topic, as I cannot monitor every topic.) . You then will tell the filter to roll that off or notch that 200 Hz. The Monitor circuit provided on your rig is very unreliable as a way of evaluating your stations audio characteristics. I think that many hams do not realize how versatile modern transceivers are in this regard. Bandwidth 5 Menu 099 Bandwidth" All of the new Yaesu series 9000, 5000,2000 3000, 1200 and the FT 950 have a balanced audio input on the audio board but Yaesu does not use it. FT-920Menu U-59 (TLSB): +100 for DX, +150 for Contest work, -100 for rag- chewing.Menu U-60 (PROC LSB): +100 for DX, +150 for Contest work, -100 for rag- chewing.Menu U-62 (T USB): +100 for DX, +150 for Contest work, -100 for rag- chewing.Menu U-63 (PROC USB): +100 for DX, +150 for Contest work, -100 for rag- chewing.Menu U-51: Set to OFF initially.1: Mid- and high-frequency emphasis.2: High-frequency emphasis (DX/Contest setting).3: Low- and high-frequency emphasis, dip in middle.4: Wide broadcast setting. Third filter 2400 Hz Menu 097 Frequency There is usually some craziness that happens around 400 Hz. As mentioned in the Yahoo FT-950 group the 094 EQ 2 Freq does not go below 700Hz on my and other's FT-950's. I am a new owner of an FT-950 and found that the stock MH-31 mic with no processing and no EQ (only because I have not gotten that far yet) has been getting unsolicited audio reports of "excellent, great, outstanding" etc. There will be three important frequencies to attend to. Yes, you have to read the manual! : Nice article. Start by downloading www.audacityteam.org , a free audio software program. You. Wide is 2.9 kHz. Heils Amateur Radio specific microphones (non-3 pin XLR) have a 1 F capacitor installed. Adjusts the Q-factor of the high range of the Default Setting: 2 parametric microphone equalizer when the speech proces- sor is activated. If you do not have one of our microphones you need to do the above modification. Heil Mike Wiring. All of my Icom friends got the same headset when they tried mine!

Susan Ferrechio Military Service, Articles Y